Nearby In This Series
The Salvation of Father Abraham
For the truth to be taught, it must be taught through that which has already been learned.
The teaching of Paul's day said salvation came through some work...so when Paul taught salvation by grace through faith alone, he was met with resistance. But in chapter 4 he gives two historical examples, Abraham and David, that show this is not new teaching, but, rather, thousands of years old.
1. The illustration of Abraham's faith.
It doesn't matter what Scripture means to you, what matters is what Scripture means...we must look at what Scripture says.
And so,In Rom. 4:3 regarding salvation by grace through faith (Eph. 2:8&9) it is shown to come from Genesis 15:6.
The word 'reckoned' is a financial term. Rom. 4:3 (NASB pre-1995) Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness.”
though Abraham did not know Messiah's name, he believed that the Messiah was going to come and die in his place.
When God promised Abraham that he would be the progenitor of a huge race, it was a turning point...he believed in the Lord...it wasn't that he believed he would have a bunch of children...he believed IN the Lord.
When Abraham obeyed God in Gen. 12, he, like Noah, preached God.
Gal. 3:6 &7 those who are the children of God believe in the same God that Abraham believed. He believed in the gospel...death, burial and resurrection. When God said all the nations would be blessed in him, he was being preached the gospel. (gen 12). 10 years later (in Gen. 15) he understand, and in an instant he is saved...it is Reckoned to him as righteousness.
We also know that Abraham was saved because, the Bible tells us that he was a prophet. See Acts 10:43.
2. The application from Abraham's faith.
In our bank accounts We can either earn money or it can be gifted us. And in our spiritual bank account genuine faith is not worked for, it is a gift of God.
BTW both Paul AND Jesus taught salvation cannot be earned...see Numbers 21:6 those who believed were spared from the snakes, because they believed in God's provision.
2 kings 18 Hezekiah broke the bronze serpent because the people had turned it to an icon/idol.
We have been bitten by a different serpent, the serpent of sin...and we are only saved by faith; faith in the birth, death and resurrection of God's provision.
We have the greatest message people will ever hear...we have to share it!
All Sermons in Romans
- The Greatest Christian Romans 1:1-4
- A Vibrant Faith Romans 1:5-10
- A Church With a Great Commission Romans 1:11-16
- Are the Untold Billions Really Lost? Romans 1:17-22
- Anatomy of a Sinner Romans 1:23-32
- The Deadliest Sin in the World Romans 2:1-3
- The Judgment of the Respectable Sinner (part 1) Romans 2:4-10
- The Judgment of the Respectable Sinner (part 2) Romans 2:11-16
- The Living Dead Romans 2:17-24
- Religion That Will Take You to Hell Romans 2:25-29
- The Depravity of Man Romans 3:1-18
- The Righteousness of God Romans 3:19-21
- Man’s Biggest Problem Romans 3:22-23
- God's Way of Salvation Romans 3:24-24
- The Power of the Cross Romans 3:24-26
- A Theological Collision Romans 3:27-31
- The Salvation of Father Abraham Romans 4:1-5
- The Salvation of King David Romans 4:6-8
- Religion That God Hates Romans 4:9-17
- The Faith of Father Abraham Romans 4:17-25
- Rejoicing in God Romans 5:1-2
- Maturity Through Tribulation Romans 5:3-5
- Secure in the Love of God Romans 5:6-11
- God's Death Sentence Romans 5:12-13
- For Whom Did Jesus Die? Romans 5:15-17
- Super Abounding Grace Romans 5:18-21
- Freedom to Sin? Romans 6:1-2
- How To Really Change Romans 6:3-11
- How To Really Change pt. 2 Romans 6:12-14
- Whose Slave Are You? Romans 6:15-23
- Released From The Law Romans 7:1-6
- License to Sin? Romans 7:7-13
- The Battle Within Romans 7:14-25
- The Blessing of Freedom (Birthmarks of the Believer - Pt. 1) Romans 8:1-4
- The Blessing of the Spirit Romans 8:5-13
- The Blessing of Adoption Romans 8:14-17
- Suffering As A Christian Romans 8:17-25
- The Providence of God Romans 8:26-29
- God's Foreknowledge Romans 8:29-29
- God's Chain of Salvation Romans 8:29-30
- More Than Conquerors pt. 1 Romans 8:31-33
- More Than Conquerors pt. 2 Romans 8:32-34
- A Passion For The Lost Romans 9:1-3
- Israel's Privileges Romans 9:4-5
- Predestined to Hell? Romans 9
- Chosen From The Womb Romans 9:10-13
- The Mercy and Judgment of God Romans 9:14-18
- God's Sovereign Choice Romans 9:19-24
- Stumbling Over Truth Romans 9:25-34
- Zealous But Rebellious Romans 10:1-4
- Close But Not Close Enough Romans 10:5-11
- Rescue The Perishing Romans 10:12-15
- Hearing Is Not Believing Romans 10:5-21
- Has God Abandoned Israel? Romans 11:1-10
- God's Olive Tree Romans 11:11-22
- The Beginning of the End Romans 11:23-36
- Finding The Will of God Romans 12:1-2
- Unwrapping Your Spiritual Gift Romans 12:3-5
- Finding Your Place Romans 12:6-8
- The Pursuit of Godly Love Romans 12:9-21
- The Christian and Retaliation Romans 12:14-21
- Christian Citizenship Romans 13:1-5
- The Christian's Debt Romans 13:5-12
- God's Clock Romans 13:11-14
- Gray Areas Romans 14:1-6
- Guarding Our Behavior Romans 14:7-12
- The Brotherhood of Believers Romans 14:13-21
- A Unified Church Romans 15:1-6
- Receiving Sinners Romans 15:7-13
- A Life and Ministry God Can Use Romans 15:14-29
- Effective Corporate Prayer Romans 15:30-33
- Snapshot of God's Church Romans 16:1-16
- Breaking News Romans 16:17-18
- Losing Your Edge For God Romans 16:19-27