Nearby In This Series
The Faith of Father Abraham
Romans 4:17b - 25
The whole point of discussion about Abraham in chapter 4 is to support the end of chapter 3 that states man is saved by faith in Christ rather than by anything we do.
Even today many sincere people believe that salvation can be merited by works.
Abraham (Israel's most famous patriarch) and David (Israel's most famous king) both believed what God revealed to them...and their faith alone was credited to them as righteousness. (Abraham's circumcision was merely a seal, an outward manifestation, of his inward position.)
If Abraham is the father of many believers, we would do well to pay attention to this model.
I. Abraham first received God's way of salvation.
God progressively revealed things to Abraham. First, that he would be the father of many. Then, that this progeny would not come through an appointed heir like Eleazar, but through his body. Then, God told Abraham that Sarah would bear the seed of the nations.
Given the outcome of all these improbabilities, ought we not ask, "Is anything too difficult for The Lord?"
II Abraham then believed God's way of salvation.
Abraham responded to what he knew...he did not waiver and grew strong in faith. Faith honors God, and so God honors faith.
Abraham was also a prophet, and every prophet pointed to the coming Messiah or back to the risen Christ.
III Abraham now modeled God's way of salvation.
Abraham began living like he was saved.
When we walk by faith we will claim God's promises. We will eat spiritual food (we will be in God's Word.)
When we walk by faith we will trust God's timing.
When we walk by faith we will grow in hope.
All Sermons in Romans
- The Greatest Christian Romans 1:1-4
- A Vibrant Faith Romans 1:5-10
- A Church With a Great Commission Romans 1:11-16
- Are the Untold Billions Really Lost? Romans 1:17-22
- Anatomy of a Sinner Romans 1:23-32
- The Deadliest Sin in the World Romans 2:1-3
- The Judgment of the Respectable Sinner (part 1) Romans 2:4-10
- The Judgment of the Respectable Sinner (part 2) Romans 2:11-16
- The Living Dead Romans 2:17-24
- Religion That Will Take You to Hell Romans 2:25-29
- The Depravity of Man Romans 3:1-18
- The Righteousness of God Romans 3:19-21
- Man’s Biggest Problem Romans 3:22-23
- God's Way of Salvation Romans 3:24-24
- The Power of the Cross Romans 3:24-26
- A Theological Collision Romans 3:27-31
- The Salvation of Father Abraham Romans 4:1-5
- The Salvation of King David Romans 4:6-8
- Religion That God Hates Romans 4:9-17
- The Faith of Father Abraham Romans 4:17-25
- Rejoicing in God Romans 5:1-2
- Maturity Through Tribulation Romans 5:3-5
- Secure in the Love of God Romans 5:6-11
- God's Death Sentence Romans 5:12-13
- For Whom Did Jesus Die? Romans 5:15-17
- Super Abounding Grace Romans 5:18-21
- Freedom to Sin? Romans 6:1-2
- How To Really Change Romans 6:3-11
- How To Really Change pt. 2 Romans 6:12-14
- Whose Slave Are You? Romans 6:15-23
- Released From The Law Romans 7:1-6
- License to Sin? Romans 7:7-13
- The Battle Within Romans 7:14-25
- The Blessing of Freedom (Birthmarks of the Believer - Pt. 1) Romans 8:1-4
- The Blessing of the Spirit Romans 8:5-13
- The Blessing of Adoption Romans 8:14-17
- Suffering As A Christian Romans 8:17-25
- The Providence of God Romans 8:26-29
- God's Foreknowledge Romans 8:29-29
- God's Chain of Salvation Romans 8:29-30
- More Than Conquerors pt. 1 Romans 8:31-33
- More Than Conquerors pt. 2 Romans 8:32-34
- A Passion For The Lost Romans 9:1-3
- Israel's Privileges Romans 9:4-5
- Predestined to Hell? Romans 9
- Chosen From The Womb Romans 9:10-13
- The Mercy and Judgment of God Romans 9:14-18
- God's Sovereign Choice Romans 9:19-24
- Stumbling Over Truth Romans 9:25-34
- Zealous But Rebellious Romans 10:1-4
- Close But Not Close Enough Romans 10:5-11
- Rescue The Perishing Romans 10:12-15
- Hearing Is Not Believing Romans 10:5-21
- Has God Abandoned Israel? Romans 11:1-10
- God's Olive Tree Romans 11:11-22
- The Beginning of the End Romans 11:23-36
- Finding The Will of God Romans 12:1-2
- Unwrapping Your Spiritual Gift Romans 12:3-5
- Finding Your Place Romans 12:6-8
- The Pursuit of Godly Love Romans 12:9-21
- The Christian and Retaliation Romans 12:14-21
- Christian Citizenship Romans 13:1-5
- The Christian's Debt Romans 13:5-12
- God's Clock Romans 13:11-14
- Gray Areas Romans 14:1-6
- Guarding Our Behavior Romans 14:7-12
- The Brotherhood of Believers Romans 14:13-21
- A Unified Church Romans 15:1-6
- Receiving Sinners Romans 15:7-13
- A Life and Ministry God Can Use Romans 15:14-29
- Effective Corporate Prayer Romans 15:30-33
- Snapshot of God's Church Romans 16:1-16
- Breaking News Romans 16:17-18
- Losing Your Edge For God Romans 16:19-27